We’re back from a weekend of camping with family! (Friday’s post was a list of our camping essentials, if you missed it.)
We have a little recipe that’s basically become a tradition for us when we go camping (I say we — but really that just means Caleb makes it & I eat it). These things really should have a name, and maybe they do wherever they originated, but I’m not sure of the origin or the moniker. All I know is that my husband introduced me to these things long ago and now I pretty much “have to” have one anytime we’re cooking over an open fire.
The lack of title really does pose a problem, and you’d think that by now I’d have come up with a witty one, but no, they’re merely Delicious Things and for our purposes, that suffices. (Read, puppy dog eyes + a whispered “delicious things,” and my Mr. Beard will have one in the works.) If you pin this, and come up with a catchy description for them, please, by all means, do tell!
So, here’s the down-low:
- Spread peanut butter on one half and Nutella on the other half of a tortilla.
- Top with a row of banana slices and marshmallows.
- Roll up (no need to close the ends) and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Toss into the fire or over hot coals for 10-15 minutes (depending on how hot the fire is).
- Upon retrieving from fire…revel in the warm, gooey taste & texture of what I think is The Very Best Part of Camping.
Mmmmmmmm….take me back.
Now it’s your turn…tell me about your favorite camping dish!
It’s Friiiiiday, I’m in love! (The Cure song reference, in case you wondered.) We’re packing up the car for a weekend getaway! — looking forward to some good old-fashioned family time, camping with my in-laws this weekend.
Caleb and I (and the rest of his family) are “real” campers, as we like to call ourselves — as in, when we say we’re going camping, we mean we’re going to be sleeping in a TENT, and making ALL our food over an open fire. Getting back to the basics and connecting with nature, baby!
Here are some of our favorites, that we won’t leave for a campground without.
- Trash bag holder — such a brilliant invention! Beats trying to tie a garbage bag to a tree branch or having it on the ground in a heap, by a long shot.
- Empty laundry detergent bottle upcycled into a hand-washing station — inspired by this pin a long time ago…fill it with water and set it on a rock or an end of the picnic table with a bottle of hand soap and towel close by, and this obsessive hand-washer (ahem) is a happy camper.
- My homemade all-natural bug spray (recipe here) is an obvious must-have!
- These citronella candles not only help to keep the bugs at bay, but also add to the campsite aesthetic and ambiance.
- This super cheap hammock from Target (online only) might be my favorite purchase of the YEAR. What’s camping without a good hammock, anyhow?
- Our trusty double sleeping bag makes the nighttime cozy!
- My [awesome] eye mask from AllNaturalSleepShop…because when I’m on vacation, I want to sleeeeeeep in and early morning light in the tent is not so conducive to that. 😉
- Nutella, because s’mores…enough said.
- This flashlight is TOP of the line as far as flashlights are concerned. A bit pricey maybe, but you’ll never buy another — and yes, that’s pretty much a personal guarantee. We give these as gifts sometimes because they are SO good.
If you’re a camper, what are some of the things YOU have to take with you? I’d love to hear about your tried-and-true favorites!